Friday, October 24, 2008

So very Special...

I've always been down the middle on looks, I'm the opposite of a graphics-whore, yet I do like having my character not look like a sideshow for a circus. Which is why I hate many virtual worlds I've played, like World of Warcraft and such. At first, the character doesn't look special, then looks goofy, and after looking like a clown, a set of gear that matches and is good is finally in your possession.
Normally, I will sacrifice my character looking good for being able to do his job, even if I look like a generic version of my class or like everyone else and try to make it up in other ways and wear unusual clothing when I can. For Instance, I will wear a Christmas suit(hat,boots, and all) when I used to tank the first four bosses in Karazhan and make corny Xmas puns. Back to the point, I always disliked the fact that I would start out as what looks like I crawled out of a sewer and decided that day I wanted to be a hero and then jump into a clown suit. So many games seem to like the fact to make characters go through the dress-up nightmare, not just MMOs anymore. Soul Calibur IV, another instance, let's you make your own character from a style of one of the original fighters and then get to select armor which will give you stats. The thing is, EVERYTHING looks wierd/stupid and doesn't match with any other piece of armor until more armor is unlocked to make other stupid looking gear make the created character stronger but ugly as hell... but I degrass...
Only three MMOs I have ever seen tried to cure this subtle yet horrible problem, Guild Wars, Warhammer, and Second Life. All three do different things to please the people who care what their characters look like, Second Life the most obviously since it's not a normal MMO. Guild Wars makes sure the whole game, you will always, ALWAYS! have a set of gear that matchs and doesn't look horrible and many different sets for stats and looks. Warhammer gear looks good from the beginning and new gear seems to good well with old gear, so clowns be gone!!
Now Second Life, since it has no gear, it will take a different step and make the player customize the clothes and use prims to make other items such as wings,belts,masks and other that the base clothing won't cover. I tried experienting with the latter a little, and now I got what I would think are some nice hand made wings and claws, nothing special.
Personally I think that MMOs should mimic Second Life more in the fact that the character can be unique and have it's own personality versus looking like a clown or another character of the same class.

No comments: