Friday, August 29, 2008

Usernames

Usernames allow us a myriad of things, from hiding our true identity to standing out, or both. All of this is great but sometimes usernames, to put bluntly are stupid. And you know we've all done it, created a username that we think is cool only to find out later that it really isn't. But that's okay because creating a good username takes expermentation. =)
I think a few things make a username good:
-Uniqueness: If your username is taken, it's taken, don't add numbers to it or underscores or the equivilent. Try a variation or choose something else.
-Showcases something about you: Don't choose a username just to choose one. Think of a random word or name that you think fits you well. (ex. Tangerine is my nickname and also has my alias for one of my gaia accounts hidden in it)
-It isn't too explict. This one should be self explaintory.
Once you find a username you can stick with it for all sites, or you can experiment a bit. xD For example my newly made SL name is Ophelia Cooperstone, while I have used the name Ophelia quite a bit I think adding the new lastname(chosen from a list might I add) makes it an entirely different username the previous ones and sounds a bit more realistic.

1 comment:

Kristian Twombly said...

I see that you've already made your SL Avatar! We'll be doing that soon, probably next week, and then beginning to explore SL.