Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Fashion and Economics of Second Life

As a 6 day member of Second Life starting today, I've had a chance to observe and absorb the different areas of Second Life, including the myriad of freebies you can obtain just by exploring a little bit. As a girl, I found the fashion having enough of a range to appeal to anyone's tastes, even if limited by a serious lack of Lindens. I also had a chance to pay attention to the guys' side of SL fashion and well I found it to be lacking. Girls can get anything from sporty to girly to just plain weird, while guys are limited to long sleeved shirts with various sayings and pants. Or maybe I wasn't looking hard enough, maybe that'll be my next experiment, starting an SL account from the veiw of a guy.

Second Life economy runs on a thing called Lindens, purchased with real currency, or if you don't want a lot and don't mind the work, through camping, money trees, and sometimes these lucky chair things. So what are these things that give you free Lindens?

Camping:

You find an area that offers camping, then look for a bench or chair and sit in it. The time you have to sit to earn 1 Linden is to the land owner's disgression. A good way to earn Lindens if you have the time to do so.

Money Trees:

Well the name should be self-explaintory. Basically you just look in the tree for Linden Dollars, then click on or touch them to get 1 Linden. There are also bananas and golden apples, which may hold more money.

Lucky Chair(if that's whay they're called):

A chair that has a prize, sometimes Lindens, sometimes an item, it displays the letter of a first name and if its the letter of your name sit in it to claim your prize. ex. My name on SL is Ophelia Cooperstone, if the chair were to display an O I would sit in it and get something. I've gotten 6 or 7 items this way.

I'm sure there are more ways to get Lindens in Second Life, but I haven't discovered them yet.

No comments: