Thursday, September 18, 2008

(Literal) Vent Rage

I know that all the big MMO players know about ventrilo, but for those who don't, its just a free program which allows speaking between teams/clans/guilds for better coordination than trying to get their typing WPM up to the 100s. From that sentence, it may sound like I'm going to talk about Ventrilo, Teamspeak and all the others, but I'm not. This post is about pointing out how people act when talking to other people over the Internet literally.
So many people are normal and talk and act normal over it like it was originally made for. But some people want to abuse this very useful program to have some "fun" by applying and spamming soundboards, the most common is Duke Nukem and then so boldly put it on Youtube so everyone can see what they did to piss off a group of people.
But if you keep the IP and port secure it's hard for something like that to happen, or your admins are always on and ban happy. I would personally know this because I am an admin on my old guild's vent and I'm on whenever I'm online, sometimes talking to the old friends or just in my channel which only other admins or myself can enter. If someone does something like that, I have the ban command linked to one of my keys so all I have to do is click the name and then hit the key, and then the person is not heard from again until I unban them( which is normally never.)
So if your admins are smart and on duty, you don't have to worry about vent harassment, but what if they are in your guild and an official spaz or the most hardcore person in the world, my best example is Troxed, the guild leader and main tank of the once great War Ensamble. The man was a psycho and a hell of a show(you can go see for yourself), but the man was a main part of the guild so the people had to get use to the psycho yelling at them and then it turned into a great soundboard and he became sort of a legend.
My whole point of this weekly rant is that, with the power to speak to other people around the world, what are we capable of? The real answer is to annoy the living hell out of other people, we are so screwed...

No comments: