Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Calling in on the text

Okay, before I get attacked by all you texters I want to make it clear that this is not me bashing texting or attacking anyone....yet. I just wanted to throw my two pennies into the pot about our cell phone use today.
So I have a cell phone like everyone else, the big difference is that I don't text as well as unable to due to my finger's size. I've tried it before and ended up looking like a 5 year old was trying to do it. I look at people when they text and see them peck at the little keypad like a bird to bread crumbs, and then just wonder, wow how long does it take to learn the board so that you can type a whole message that makes sense in under a minute when I take 5 minutes to type in someone's name for contacts list.
Now is the part where I will probably stroke people the wrong way in that when I see people texting at the worst times and about the most trivial stuff, as well as send a message, receive one within 15 seconds and then sending another one, when a normal call will go quicker and suffice just as much. Are we at the point that we just don't want to interact with other humans?! I think sometimes it's a good time to text and then other times just call them. Some say, " Well I want a record of what they said" or "I'm not always at my phone or available." Well good news, we have invented something on your phone when you weren't "available", it's called an answering machine. I've had this fight with someone about this over the phone that he was trying to defend it for being the one use for the phone. I just said, it's called a cell phone for a reason, we call people and talk to them to tell them something and nif you want to save what they wrote, just write it down, we are already lazy enough. If your in a movie threater and want to talk to someone, just leave the threater, your not enjoying the movie, because if you truly did enjoy it your attention would be focused on it and not your phone. Also, don't think by texting in the threater is subtle and non-distracting when the 5+ rows behind you can see the bright white screen and the people's attention to your left and right will be attracted to the srceen most likely rather than the movie.
Given texting is a good way to communcate with others and it is private versus speaking out loud, but I'm talking about people who never hit the talk button to listen to the phone and another human's voice. I guess I'm old fashion like that to not understand the true purpose of texting. If you wish to attempt to show me the "light" of texting and not just flame/bash on me because I "insulted" your way of communcation with others.

3 comments:

edgaralenpwn said...

Dude, get with the times. Texting is waaay better than calling someone. You can talk to them at your discretion, and the same with them.
Yes, it is called a cell phone.The definition of phone has changed.Phones are not just for calling people. A phone 20 years ago was for calling people. A current phone is for texting, checking your email, and seeing what the weather is going to be like tomorrow.
You say that its much more efficient to call someone than text. You say its faster. For you, maybe it is. For the rest of the human population, texting is more efficient. Why call someone and have a chance to drop the call or misunderstand them, or call them in the middle of a class and embarass them by having their phone ring, when you could simply text. Calling people is inconvenient. And once again i say, get with the times man. (you're part of the cell phone generation, you know)

Donut said...

I understand that I'm in the damned generation and I see alot of the points, but then again, the purposes you say can be done by all devices today and thus making the cell phone less of a cell phone, if you got a phone which can do all the stuff you say, that's good, but I'm talking about texting ALL the time. and you will misunderstand them by texting because you can't hear any emotion or know if they are just kidding unless they say j/k. And if it's the middle of class, it's their fault for not muting or turning off your phone. From that part you are probably thinking "OH GOD THE UNTHINKABLE! I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT TEXTY BEING ON!!!"(which I have had someone tell me this before). You say get with the times, I prefer to remember and love the old times, those who forget history are damned to repeat it and all. I thank you for the reply to attempt to open my eyes and help me understand, but I still stand by what I think and I understand your standing better from it.

edgaralenpwn said...

Did i say forget history? I meant to look back at the past and respect how far we have come in terms of technology. And if we have that technology, then we might as well use it to its full power. And if someone calls you during class, you cant talk to that person without disturbing the class. Texting, on the other hand, doesnt disrupt anyone. and the only person i know that forgets to turn off their phone during class is joe.